The Machu Picchu Tickets (also known as Entry Ticket to Machu Picchu, Machu Picchu Ticket, Machu Picchu Tickets and Entrance Tickets to Machu Picchu) is a ticket that gives you the right to enjoy the most emblematic archeological site in South America, the Sanctuary of Machu Picchu:
- The Incan Citadel of Machu Picchu
- Huayna Picchu Mountain
- Machu Picchu Mountain
- Manuel Chávez Ballón Museum
The Entrance Tickets to Machu Pichu are administered by: Dirección Desconcentrada de Cultura Cusco (The Ministry of Culture in Cusco).
Paying the Entrance Fee to Machu Picchu is absolutely obligatory. Without buying the official Machu Picchu Ticket, you cannot enter the Incan Citadel of Machu Picchu.
For this reason, if you are planning a trip to explore Machu Pichu in Cusco, Peru (one of the Seven Wonders of the Modern World), you ought to buy your Machu Picchu Entry Ticket well in advance, because they are highly in demand. They sell out quickly.
Different Types of Machu Picchu Entrance Tickets
There are 4 different kinds of Machu Picchu Entry Tickets:
Only the Citadel of Machu Picchu
This ticket allows you to enter only the Incan Citadel of Machu Picchu. Within the citadel you can visit the main attractions within the ruins: The House of the Guardians, the Temple of the Three Windows, the Intihuatana, the Main Plaza, the Temple of the Sun, the Temple of the Condor, the incredible terraces in the agricultural zone, and many other Incan constructions.
You can also explore the Gateway of the Sun (Intipunku) and the Inca’s Bridge. You can walk to both to these sites if you have enough time and energy. (Walking time to the Inca’s Bridge is around 40 minutes; to the Gateway of the Sun Intipunku is around 2 hours).
Entrance Tickets to Machu Picchu plus Huayna Picchu Mountain
With this ticket you are allowed to enter the Incan Sanctuary of Machu Picchu and you can also climb up Huayna Picchu Mountain. The tickets to Huayna Picchu are always sold together with the Machu Picchu Tickets. You cannot buy only a Huayna Picchu Mountain ticket.
Without a doubt, this ticket is always the first one to sell out. To climb up Huayna Picchu is the perfect adventure for visitors who love a good adrenaline rush. The narrow trail winds its way up to the peak. Right next to the trail, vertical walls rise up and cliffs drop off thousands of feet straight down to the Sacred Urubamba River. You should never forget that this ticket is the most requested one and that it is the fastest one to sell out.
Tickets for Machu Picchu plus Machu Picchu Mountain Tickets
With this official ticket you are allowed to enter the Incan Citadel of Machu Picchu and to climb up Machu Picchu Mountain.
This Machu Picchu Entrance Ticket is a very good possible alternative if the Tickets for Huayna Picchu are all sold out. In case you didn’t buy your Tickets to Huayna Picchu Mountain on time, you can book this ticket and climb up Machu Picchu Mountain. When you climb up and reach the majestic summit, the view all around you is really incredible. Surrounded by snow-capped mountains, you will be able to see Huayna Picchu and the all of the Sanctuary of Machu Picchu below you. This popular trail is longer than the Huayna Picchu Trail, but not as steep.
Machupicchu Tickets plus Manuel Chávez Ballón Museum Ticket
This ticket covers your Machu Picchu Entrance Fee and allows you to enter the Machu Picchu Site Museum which contains a fantastic collection of representative samples found at the Citadel of Machu Picchu during over 100 years of archeological excavation.
In addition, with this kind of Machu Picchu Tickets 2022, you can also discover the wonder of the Botanical Garden of Machu Picchu. This garden is located right next to the museum and is the best place to appreciate the amazing variety of plant life found in Machu Picchu National Park. The hours of the Site Museum are from 6:00 am until 5:00 p.m.
Availability of Machu Picchu Entry Tickets and Hourly Schedule
Machu Picchu Archeological Park is open from 6:00 am until 5:30 pm. Please remember that the entrance times are staggered into 9 separate divisions. Each group enters one hour after the preceding group. The first group is allowed to enter the Sanctuary at 6:00 am., and the final group of the day is allowed to enter at 2:00 pm.
Starting in January 2020, the rule states that each group is only allowed to stay in the Incan Citadel of Machu Picchu for a total of four hours. Therefore, we recommend that visitors enter the Sanctuary of Machu Picchu at the exact hour printed on your official ticket to Machu Picchu.
The availability of the Machu Picchu Entry Tickets is as follows:
|Machu Picchu Ticket Availability||Number of Tickets|
|Machu Picchu – 6:00 a.m.||800|
|Machu Picchu – 7:00 a.m.||800|
|Machu Picchu – 8:00 a.m.||800|
|Machu Picchu – 9:00 a.m.||560|
|Machu Picchu – 10:00 a.m.||600|
|Machu Picchu – 11:00 a.m.||600|
|Machu Picchu – 12:00 p.m.||360|
|Machu Picchu – 13:00 p.m.||540|
|Machu Picchu – 14:00 p.m.||540|
|Machu Picchu 6:00 a.m. plus Huayna Picchu Mountain 7:00 – 8:00 a.m.||200|
|Machu Picchu 7:00 a.m. plus Huayna Picchu Mountain 7:00 – 8:00 a.m.||200|
|Machu Picchu 8:00 a.m. plus Huayna Picchu Mountain 10:30 – 11:30 a.m.||200|
|Machupicchu 6:00 a.m. plus Machupicchu Mountain 7:00 – 8:00 a.m.||200|
|Machu Picchu 7:00 a.m. plus Machupicchu Mountain 7:00 – 8:00 a.m.||200|
|Machu Picchu 7:00 a.m. plus Machupicchu Mountain 9:00 – 10:00 a.m.||200|
In order to see the Availability of Machu Picchu Entry Tickets in real time, click here. www.machupicchu.gob.pe
You can stay in Machu Picchu Archeological Park for a total of only 4 hours. To better enjoy the marvels of Machu Picchu, we recommend that you enter the Citadel at the very first hour that your ticket allows you to.
Entrance fee to Machu Picchu?
All of the prices for Machu Picchu Entrance Tickets 2022 are in Peruvian Currency (Soles). Costs are divided into two separate groups:
How much are tickets to Machu Picchu for foreign tourists?
|Only Machu Picchu||S/ 152.00||S/ 77.00||S/ 60.00|
|Machu Picchu plus Huayna Picchu Mountain||S/ 200.00||S/ 125.00||S/ 118.00|
|Machu Picchu plus Machupicchu Mountain||S/ 200.00||S/ 125.00||S/ 118.00|
|Manuel Chávez Ballón Museum||S/ 22.00||S/ 11.00||S/ 8.00|
Special purchase price of Machu Picchu Tickets for Peruvian Tourists and Andean Country Tourists (CAN)
|Only Machu Picchu||S/ 64.00||S/ 32.00||S/ 32.00|
|Machu Picchu + Huayna Picchu Mountain||S/ 112.00||S/ 80.00||S/ 80.00|
|Machu Picchu plus Machupicchu Mountain||S/ 112.00||S/ 80.00||S/ 80.00|
|Manuel Chávez Ballón Museum||S/ 22.00||S/ 11.00||S/ 8.00|
*CAN: Andean Community of Nations that is integrated by Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador and Peru.
During your visit to the Incan Citadel of Machu Picchu it is mandatory that you carry with you your Machupicchu Ticket and your passport or your identity document. In the case of students, it is also obligatory to carry with you your student ID card if you bought your Machu Picchu Tickets 2022 using your ISIC (International Student Identity Card). This rule exists so you can prove that you are a Foreign Tourist, a Peruvian National, an Andean Community Member, or a Student or a Child.
What does the Machu Picchu Entrance Ticket include?
What is included depends on which ticket you bought. See below:
- Incan Citadel of Machu Picchu. If you have the Only Machu Picchu Ticket, you can visit the principle attractions such as the House of the Guardians, the Temple of the Three Windows, the Intihuatana, the Main Plaza, the Temple of the Sun, the Temple of the Condor, and the beautiful terraces in the agricultural zone. Also, it is possible to walk to the Intipunku (the Gateway of the Sun) or the Inca’s Bridge.
- Machu Picchu plus Huayna Picchu Mountain Ticket. If you have this ticket, you can climb up Huayna Picchu using the old Inca trail to peak of the mountain that appears on all the classic photos of Machu Picchu. The summit of Huayna Picchu is 300 meters above the Citadel of Machu Picchu. You can also visit the Temple of the Moon that is located on the flank of Huayna Picchu Mountain.
- Machu Picchu plus Machu Picchu Mountain. When you book this ticket, you can climb up Machu Picchu Mountain. From its summit you can experience the incredible panoramic view and you can look down at the peak of Huayna Picchu and the Sanctuary which will be below you.
- Manuel Chavez Ballon Museum. This ticket allows you to enter the museum where you will see a wonderful exposition of the objects from the Incan culture which were found at Machu Picchu over the past 100 years. The Manuel Chávez Ballón Museum is located about 1.7 km from Aguas Calientes. It is on the banks of the Urubamba River close to the Puente Ruinas (Ruins Bridge) which is on the road up to the Citadel of Machu Picchu.
What is not included with your Tickets into Machu Picchu?
Your Peru Machu Picchu and Huayna Picchu tickets do not include:
- The Machu Picchu Train Ticket round-trip to the town of Aguas Calientes (Machupicchu Pueblo).
- The round-trip Consettur bus ticket from Aguas Calientes to the main gate of the Sanctuary of Machu Picchu.
- Guide or guided tour of the Incan city.
- Food or lodging.
In order to travel to Machu Picchu without any problems, we recommend that you read our article: How to get to Machu Picchu.
How to get Tickets for Machu Picchu and Huayna Picchu?
There are 3 ways to purchase Machu Picchu Entrance Tickets.
- Make your reservation online at the official website. This works only for adult tickets, not for student tickets. Go to the official Machu Picchu Entry Tickets webpage: www.machupicchu.gob.pe
- Book through your Travel Agency.
- Buy directly at the window of any of the offices of the Dirección Desconcentrada de Cultura in Cusco.
- Note: previously if was possible to buy your entry ticket in the town of Aguas Calientes. Now you must purchase your Machu Picchu Entrance Ticket in Cusco because they are no longer for sale in Aguas Calientes.
To pay for your online reservation, you can choose any of these 4 alternatives:
- Via Internet (Only VISA cards are accepted. It can be a National or International VISA card). Immediately after booking your ticket, or within three hours of having made your reservation. In this second case you must enter your reservation code on the website www.machupicchu.gob.pe. Click on the option check-in and pay for your Machu Picchu Ticket.
When you book your reservation for your Entrance Tickets to Machu Picchu, this reservation is valid for only 3 hours. Therefore, you must pay for the tickets within 3 hours.
- In the offices of the Dirección Desconcentrada de Cultura in Cusco:
- Reservation office – Casa Garcilaso. Garcilaso Street S/N – Garcilaso House Museum. Monday – Saturday from 7:00 am to 7:30 pm.
- Reservation office – Calle Maruri. Calle Maruri. Monday – Saturday from 7:00 to 19:30 pm.
- At an Authorized Collection Agents: PERURAIL: Av. Pachacútec S/N (Cusco), HOTEL MONASTERIO: Calle Palacios N° 136 (Plazoleta Nazarenas – Cusco).
Our Best Recommendations
In order to visit the Incan Citadel of Machu Picchu without any inconvenience, do not forget the following recommendations:
- Please buy your Machu Picchu Tickets months in advance. If you want to climb up Huaynapicchu Mountain, buy your tickets 3 to 4 months in advance.
- The Machupicchu Ticket is non-transferable and is valid only for the day and the hour stated on the ticket. Also, it is non-refundable. For this reason, before paying for your reservation make sure that the date and the hour on the entry ticket are correct.
- On the day that you are visiting Machu Picchu, bring with you your official identity document: Passport.
- When you arrive at the entry gate of Machu Picchu you should contract a local guide before you enter the site. (You are not allowed to enter Machu Picchu without a guide.) Or you could join a group tour along with other travelers. The cost of a group tour that lasts for 2 and half hours is about $15.00 USD. A private guide cost $ 70.00 US. The maximum number of people permitted in a group is 10. The minimum number of people is 5.
- In order to climb up Huayna Picchu Mountain you must be at least 12 years old.
- If you plan on taking the train to Machu Picchu, it is important to purchase your train ticket to Machu Picchu well in advance.
- If, in addition to visiting Machu Picchu, you plan on visiting other attractions in the Cusco area, don’t forget to buy your Cusco Tourist Ticket.
- One last note: in order to avoid the hassle of buying Machu Picchu tickets, contracting guides, reserving train tickets, obtaining other necessary transportation, and wasting your valuable time on minute details, we suggest that you consider our exclusive Tours to Machu Picchu.
Recommendations for students and scholars
- Tickets for minors (less than 18 years old) and for students (less than 25 years old), whether they are Peruvian or foreign, will only be sold in person at the office of the Dirección Desconcentrada de Cultura, with the presentation of the following identity documents: Passport, DNI for Peruvian Students, (SUNEDU) for Peruvian University Students, (MINEDU) for students of Peruvian Technical Institutes or a Student Identity Card for foreign students (CAN).
- You can buy your Machu Picchu Entrance Ticket for Students in person or through an authorized Travel Agency. You must remember that in order to buy these entry tickets, your student ID must be dated within the last calendar year of the date that you visit Machu Picchu.
Tours and Trips to Machu Picchu
Here at TRAVEL 1 we know that each journey is unique and that it cannot be repeated. For this reason, we have designed for you the most exclusive Machu Picchu day trip from Cusco. This is a private tour on which everything is included (All-inclusive Day Tour): Private Tourist Transportation, Machu Picchu Entrance Tickets, delicious lunch at the famous Inkaterra Restaurant in Machu Picchu Pueblo Hotel, Round-trip Train Tickets from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu, Round-trip Bus Tickets from Aguas Calientes to the Sanctuary of Machu Picchu and Private Local Guide who speaks English fluently.
Forget about dealing with the details and just concentrate on enjoying the absolutely Best Excursions to Machu Picchu. Book our exclusive Small Group Trips or our Luxury Travel Vacations in South America, Peru. Book now Tours to Machu Picchu.