The ticket for Machu Picchu is also known as the Machu Picchu Entrance Ticket, Machu Picchu Tickets, or the Electronic Machu Picchu Ticket. This entry ticket is administered by the Cusco Regional Department of Culture (Dirección Regional de Cultura Cusco). It is actually a ticket which gives you the right to enter the principle points of interest in Machu Picchu National Archeological Park:
- The Incan City of Machu Picchu
- Wayna Picchu Mountain
- Machu Picchu Mountain
- Manuel Chávez Ballón Museum
This ticket is a necessity. Without this entry ticket it is impossible to get into the Incan City of Machu Picchu. Therefore, to obtain your entry ticket is the first pre-requisite if you are planning on visiting Machu Picchu. These tickets are highly in demand. People make their reservations months in advance and tickets run out.
Types of Machu Picchu Entry Tickets
There are 4 different kinds of Machu Picchu Entry Tickets:
Machu Picchu only
This ticket allows you to enter only the Incan City of Machu Picchu. Within the city you can visit the principle attractions such as the House of the Guardians, the Temple of the Three Windows, the Intihuatana, the Main Plaza, the Temple of the Sun, the Temple of the Condor, the incredible terraces in the agricultural zone, and many other Incan constructions. In addition, depending on your physical condition and the amount of time you have, you can visit the Intipunku (the Gateway of the Sun) and the Inca´s Bridge. Both of these sites are a few minutes walk from Machu Picchu.
Ticket for Machu Picchu + Huayna Picchu Mountain
With this ticket you allowed to enter the Incan City of Machu Picchu and to climb up Huayna Picchu Mountain. Without a doubt, this ticket is always the first one to sell out. The climb up Huayna Picchu is perfect for those adventurous travelers who love a good adrenaline rush. The narrow trail winds its way right up to the peak. Right next to the trail vertical walls rise up and cliffs drop thousands of feet straight down to the Urubamba River.
However, you should not forget that this ticket is the most requested and the fastest one is sold out.
Ticket for Machu Picchu + Machu Picchu Mountain
With this ticket you allowed to enter the Incan City of Machu Picchu and to climb up Machu Picchu Mountain. This ticket is a very good alternative to the previous ticket. In case you neglected to reserve your Huayna Picchu Mtn. ticket, you can buy this ticket and climb up Machu Picchu Mtn. When you reach the peak the view is really incredible. Surrounded by snow-capped mountains, you will be able to see Huayna Picchu and the city of Machu Picchu far below you.
Manuel Chávez Ballón Museum Ticket
This ticket allows you to enter the Machu Picchu Site Museum, where the most representative samples of finds found in the Inca city of Machu Picchu are exhibited. In addition, with this same income ticket, you can also visit the Botanical Garden of Machu Picchu, which is next to the museum, where you can appreciate the native flora of Machu Picchu. The hours of the site museum are from 6:00 – 5:00 p.m.
Availability and Hourly Schedule of the Machu Picchu Ticket
Availability of the Machu Picchu Entrance Tickets and the hours when you are permitted to enter:
|Tickets and Admission Schedule||Availability|
|Machupicchu – 6:00 a.m.||800|
|Machupicchu – 7:00 a.m.||800|
|Machupicchu – 8:00 a.m.||800|
|Machupicchu – 9:00 a.m.||560|
|Machupicchu – 10:00 a.m.||600|
|Machupicchu – 11:00 a.m.||600|
|Machupicchu – 12:00 p.m.||360|
|Machupicchu – 13:00 p.m.||540|
|Machupicchu – 14:00 p.m.||540|
|Machupicchu 6:00 a.m. + Huayna Picchu Mountain 7:00 – 8:00 a.m.||200|
|Machupicchu 7:00 a.m. + |
Huayna Picchu Mountain 7:00 – 8:00 a.m.
|Machupicchu 8:00 a.m. + |
Huayna Picchu Mountain 10:30 – 11:30 a.m.
|Machupicchu 6:00 a.m. + Machupicchu Mountain 7:00 – 8:00 a.m.||200|
|Machupicchu 7:00 a.m. + Machupicchu Mountain 7:00 – 8:00 a.m.||200|
|Machupicchu 7:00 a.m. + Machupicchu Mountain 9:00 – 10:00 a.m.||200|
You can stay in the Park for a total of only 4 hours. To better enjoy the marvels of Machu Picchu, we recommend that you enter the Citadel at the very first hour that your ticket allows you to.
How much does it cost to get into Machu Picchu?
The ticket prices Machu Picchu 2019 in PEN (Sol de Perú), is as follows:
General Ticket for foreign tourists
|Machu Picchu alone||S/ 152||S/ 77||S/ 60|
|Machu Picchu + Huayna Picchu mountain||S/ 200||S/ 125||S/ 118|
|Machu Picchu + Machupicchu |
|S/ 200||S/ 125||S/ 118|
|Manuel Chávez Ballón Museum||S/ 22||S/ 11||S/ 8|
Promotional ticket for Peruvian tourists and member countries of the CAN
|Machu Picchu alone||S/ 64||S/ 32||S/ 32|
|Machu Picchu + Huayna Picchu mountain||S/ 112||S/ 80||S/ 80|
|Machu Picchu + Machupicchu |
|S/ 112||S/ 80||S/ 80|
|Manuel Chávez Ballón Museum||S/ 22||S/ 11||S/ 8|
 – Andean Community of Nations that is integrated by Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador and Peru.
To enter Machu Picchu, it is essential to present your Passport, Identity Card or Student Card to validate your status as a tourist (foreign, national, Andean community, student or school).
The cost or value of entry to Machu Picchu is in Soles (S /) and per traveler.
What does the Machu Picchu Entrance Ticket include?
According to the type of ticket that you buy, the Machu Picchu ticket only gives you the right to enter:
- The Incan City of Machu Picchu. In the city you can visit the principle attractions such as the House of the Guardians, the Temple of the Three Windows, the Intihuatana, the Main Plaza, the Temple of the Sun, the Temple of the Condor, and the beautiful terraces in the agricultural zone. Also, if you take a short walk, you can visit the Intipunku (the Gateway of the Sun) and the Inca´s Bridge.
- Huayna Picchu Mtn. You can climb up using the old the Inca trail to peak of the mountain that appears on all the classic photos of Machu Picchu. The top of Huayna Picchu is 300 meters above the city. (2450 masl.) You can also visit the Temple of the Moon that is located on the flank of Huayna Picchu Mtn.
- Machu Picchu Mtn. (3082 masl.) From its summit, after you climb to the top, you can see all the incredible scenery around the site and you can look down at the peak of Huayna Picchu and the city of Machu Picchu far below.
- Machu Picchu Site Museum. Here you can see a wonderful exposition of the objects from the Incan culture which were found at Machu Picchu. The Manuel Chávez Ballón Museum is located about 1.7 km from Aguas Calientes. It is on the banks of the Urubamba River close to the Puente Ruinas (Ruins Bridge)on the road up to Machu Picchu.
What is not included with your entry ticket to Machu Picchu?
Your Peru Machu Picchu tickets do not include:
- The train ticket to and from the town of Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu Pueblo).
- The Consettur bus ticket from Aguas Calientes up to the gate of Machu Picchu.
- Guide or guided tour of the Incan city.
- Food or lodging
In order to travel to Machu Picchu without any problems, we recommend that you read our article: How to get to Machu Picchu.
How and where to buy Machu Picchu Tickets and Huayna Picchu Tickets?
There are 3 ways to purchase Machu Picchu Entrance Tickets.
- Buy the directly at the window in any of the offices of the Dirección Desconcentrada de Cultura – Cusco.
- Make your reservation online. This is only for adult tickets. (not for student tickets.) Their official webpage is: www.machupicchu.gob.pe
- Or through your Travel Agency.
To pay for your reservation online, you can choose any of these 4 alternatives:
- Via Internet (only VISA card national or international). Immediately after booking your ticket. Or within three hours of having made your reservation, in this second case you must enter your reservation code on the website www.machupicchu.gob.pe, checking option.
- In the offices of the Dirección Desconcentrada de Cultura – Cusco:
- Reservation office – Casa Garcilaso. Garcilaso Street S / N – Garcilaso House Museum. From Monday – Saturday 07:00 – 19:30 hours.
- Reservation office – Calle Maruri. Calle Maruri – Cusicancha. From Monday – Saturday 07:00 – 19:30 hours.
- In the Ventanillas of the Banco de la Nación del Perú (nationwide). From Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., and Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- In the Attention window of Banco de la Nación del Perú (nationwide). From Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., and Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- And in the Authorized Collection Agents: PERURAIL: Av. Pachacútec S / N (Cusco), HOTEL MONASTERIO: Calle Palacios N ° 136 (Plazoleta Nazarenas – Cusco).
Any reservation that you make for your Machu Picchu ticket is valid for only 3 hours. You must complete payment within 3 hours or else your reservation falls out of the system.
Student tickets are only sold in person at the offices of the Dirección Desconcentrada de Cultura. The student must present his or her passport, DNI for Peruvian students, university ID (SUNEDU) for Peruvian university students, student ID card (MINEDU) for students of Peruvians institutes, or a student ID card (CAN) for foreign students. A student must be under 25 years of age.
In order to visit Incan Citadel of Machu Picchu without inconveniences, do not forget the following recommendations:
- Purchase your Machu Picchu Ticket at least a week or two in advance during slow season; and at least 2 to 3 weeks in advance during high season. If you would like to climb Huayna Picchu Mountain, buy your ticket 3 or 4 months in advance.
- Carry with you your identity document, whether it is a passport, DNI, student ID, or ISIC student card.
Visit Machu Picchu in the early hours of the morning or late in the afternoon. The site is most crowded with tourists from 8:00 am – 2:00 p.m.
- When you arrive at the entry gate of Machu Picchu you should contract a local guide before you enter the site. (You are not allowed to enter Machu Picchu without a guide.) Or you could join a group tour along with other travelers. The cost of a group tour of 2 and half hour is about $12US. A private guide costs $65US. The maximum number of people permitted in a group is 15. The minimum number of people is 6.
- The Entrance Ticket to Machu Picchu is not transferable. And it is only valid for the date and the hour indicated on the ticket.
- In order to climb up Huayna Picchu Mtn., you must be at least 12 years old.
- If you plan on traveling to Machu Picchu by train, it is important to purchase your train ticket to Machu Picchu well in advance.
- If, in addition to visiting Machu Picchu, you plan on visiting other attractions in the Cusco area, don´t forget to buy your Cusco Tourist Ticket.
- One last note: in order to avoid the hassle of buying Machu Picchu tickets, contracting guides, reserving train tickets, obtaining other necessary transportation, and wasting your valuable time on minute details, we suggest that you consider our exclusive Tours to Machu Picchu.